A core group of classmates has met a few times in the past week in an attempt to wrap things up with this Service Learning project, and it once again seems that we are not truly coming together to “make things happen” until it gets “down to the wire.” Yes, communication has been spotty; yes, there have been personality conflicts; yes, this should be expected. While there is definite room for improvement in these areas, I think for a team of 20-somethings with varying obligations, we should have some pride when it comes to what we’ve accomplished individually and as a group.
Reflection: As I noted in my previous activism log, we were facing issues involving how we addressed things and struggling to agree upon a way in which to reach our goals. Since then, the importance of opening up dialogue and acknowledging perspectives has generally been accepted and has had a positive impact on our ability to communicate, mobilize, and empower each other. I feel like this semester, this project, and the issues we discuss in class have seemed overwhelming to the majority of my peers. It’s important to recognize evidence of the changed a group can make in order to remain motivated rather than become discouraged. Hilkka Pietila writes about the impact of a woman’s movement in Finland: “By empowering women around the country as national political actors, the women’s movement made a remarkable contribution to the eradication of poverty in Finland (166). Making general progress in any country requires all possible contributions, of women, too, and thus the empowerment of women benefits the whole nation (167). This directly relates to our Service Learning project, as many families in the farmworker community are forced to live in poverty and, as Yolanda discussed with us in Fellsmere, the women are often restricted to household chores and childcare. By working within these communities and empowering these members, we are making progress towards positive social change.
Reciprocity: I have gained a lot from this project and class, most notably a change in perception and the opportunity to become involved with YAYA. I am inspired by the organizers in this community and feel that the impact this has had on me will be reciprocated whether while working in solidarity within a movement or voicing what I’ve learned/experienced within my circle of friends. I am excited to continue a relationship with YAYA and look forward to the personal growth that will come along with that. At the meeting yesterday, we discussed fundraising events and “YAYA Jr.” at Glenridge Middle School, both of which I plan on being involved with.
Works Cited
Pietila, Hilkka. "Women as Agents for Development.” Global Feminism: Transnational Women's Activism, Organizing, and Human Rights. New York: New York University Press, 2006. 166-167. Print.
Word count: 524
No comments:
Post a Comment